Frequently Asked Questions

Is there transportation available for Seniors in need?

Posted by: Human Services

Yes!  The Lamprey HealthCare - Senior Transportation Program (1-800-582-7214) offers transportation for senior and disable Northwood residents every Tuesday.  Transportation is offered for medical appointments, shopping trips or a monthly recreational trip.  It is FREE but if you can afford it, there is a suggested donation of $3.00 

 Ready Rides at (603) 244-8719. Provides free rides to medical appointments for those over 65 or Disabled.

What is the difference between State and Local Welfare?

Posted by: Human Services

State Welfare:  The NH Department of Health and Human Services is a State Welfare program that includes Food Stamps, FANF/FAP (Financial Assistance for Needy Families/Financial Assistance Program), Medicaid, APTD (Aid for the Permanent and Totally Disabled), Title XX (Child Care), OAA (Old Age Assistance), etc.  If you live in Rockingham County, you may call the Portsmouth District Office at (603) 433-8300 to find out if you are eligible for any of these programs.

Local Welfare:  Every city and town in New Hampshire has a local welfare office where an individual may apply for emergency assistance in compliance with RSA 165.

What is Fuel Assistance (FAP) and how do I apply for it?

Posted by: Human Services

The Community Action Program provides income eligible households with assistance in paying home energy bills (oil, kerosene, natural gas, propane, wood, electricity, and/or coal) during the winter heating season.  FAP (Fuel Assistance Program) prioritizes households with at least one member who is elderly, disabled and/or a child under age 6.  Eligibility is based on household size, household income, and annual home energy costs.  Homeowners and renters (including renters with heat included) may be eligible for FAP.  If you live in Rockingham County you may contact Rockingham Community Action Program at (603) 895-2303.

Are there food pantries in the area?

Posted by: Human Services

Yes, the Town of Northwood has a Food Pantry located at Saint Joseph's Church Parish Hall .  They are open: The First Saturday of the month from 9:30 -11:00AM, the Second Monday of the month from 2:00 - 3:30 PM and the last Wednesday of the month from 9:00 - 10:30. In an Emergency Situation you can call the Human Services Office at 942-5586 ext. 208 and set up an appointment.

How can I apply for Public Housing and Section 8?

Posted by: Human Services

For information about HUD Section 8 low-income housing please contact the NH Housing Finance Authority at (800) 439-7247.

How can I register for youth and adult programs through the Recreation Department?

Posted by: Recreation Department

Participant Registration

Most programs have a minimum number of participants needed in order for the program to run.  Please register early to help avoid program cancellations. 

How to Register

Download the registration form from the Files&Document tab above, print, complete, and return to the Recreation Department with a check payable to “Town of Northwood”. 

Three ways to return forms:

  1. Mail forms to Recreation Department, 818 First NH Turnpike, Northwood, NH 03261
  2. Drop forms off at the Town Hall in the main office, Monday - Thursday, 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM. 
  3. Drop forms in the drop box in front of the Town Hall before or after work hours.   

Photo Policy

We may take photographs and/or video of program participants for our marketing purposes only.  If you do not want your child to be photographed please note this on you Registration Form.

Returned Check Policy

A $30.00 processing charge will be assessed for any checks returned by your bank as not payable.

Recreation Scholarships

The Northwood Recreation Department tries to keep it’s program fees at an affordable level.  If you have an unusual family financial situation that limits participation due to the fee, please fill out the Scholarship Form.  Scholarships are available for many (but not all) youth programs.  Scholarships are not available to non-residents or for adult programs.

Who do I call if I am Homeless?

Posted by: Human Services

Call Coordinated Entry at (603) 435-2448 during the week until 5PM. Leave them a message if no one picks up. They will call you back ASAP. The number that will show up when they call back is (603) 435-2500.

If it is after 5PM or a weekend call 211.

You can also contact your local Human Services or Welfare Office.

Where can I find information about avalible services if I am Elderly or Disabled?

Posted by: Human Services

Service Link can be contacted at: (603) 334-6594.

I served in the Military and need help. Who can I contact?

Posted by: Human Services

Veteran's Count at: (603) 315-4354 or Supportive Services for Veteran Families at: (603) 882-3616.

Can I get help to pay my medical Bills?

Posted by: Human Services

Yes Call NH Health Access at: (603) 225-0900. You must be income eligible.

Are there any progrms that will help me pay for my perscriptions?

Posted by: Human Services

Yes the NH Medication Bridge program can often help. Call them at: (603) 225-0900.

Where can I get Primary Health Care I can afford?

Posted by: Human Services

Lamprey Health Care in Raymond. Contact them at: (603) 895-3316.

How do I become a member of Recreation Commission?

Posted by: Recreation Commission

If you think you might be interested in joining the Recreation Commission, please contact Rec Director Amy Hanavan at (603) 942-5586 ext. 209 or attend one of our Commission meetings. They're held the first Tuesday of every month @6:30 pm in the downstairs conference room of Town Hall. We have four open seats as of Spring 2019. The Recreation Commission is responsible for all of the wonderful community events in town like Trunk or Treat, the Holiday Tree Lighting Ceremony and the Easter Egg Hunt, to name a few. These events can't happen without volunteer work of the Recreation Commission! Please consider joining!